If there is something we like in this house it’s carrots. We will eat carrots anyway we can. Roasted, boiled, raw, mashed and in carrot cakes. Master J is the biggest fan or carrots I know and he loves helping to make carrot cake just so he can eat the chunks left over after grating, and if we making something that involves carrots you will find him hovering around the chopping board. This time I choose to make muffins instead of cake and hoping to cut down on the sugar we would normally add to them. The bonus is the muffins are also gluten free.
1 carrot grated
2 Tbsp. of flaxseeds
6 Tbsp. of water
3 Tbsp. of soy milk or preferred milk alternative
½ cup of olive oil
1 cup of gluten free flour
¾ cup of raw sugar
½ tsp. of ground cinnamon
½ tsp. of nutmeg
½ tsp. of ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 tsp. of baking powder
½ tsp. of bi carb soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a muffin tin
- Blend the flaxseed with the water using a blender or food processor
- Combine the wet ingredients in one bowl
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix dry and wet ingredients together
- Spoon the mixture in a muffin tin. (we got six muffins)
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes at 180C
- Allow the muffins to sit in the tin for 10 minutes before flipping them on to a wire rack.
I didn’t frost these muffins as they are so soft and moist on their own, but you can add any frosting you like.